Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Monday, August 1, 2011

Book Review: Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer

Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2) 

Source:  Book It Forward ARC Tours

Synopsis (from Goodreads):  When Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemies, she’s certain her days are numbered. But then the Searchers make her an offer—one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack—and the man—she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive.

My Thoughts:  I was really excited to read this book because I liked Nightshade so much.  While this book had a lot of action and new characters, I still think I liked the first book better.

This book starts where Nightshade ended.  Calla wakes up in the Searchers hiding place.  She can't find Shay at first and instead meets Monroe, Ethan and Connor.  After Shay comes to see her, she also meets Lydia, Adne and Anika.  They let her in on some little secrets and ask her to help them free her pack and make an alliance.  However, that is not as easy as they thought.

I really liked Monroe and Adne.  Adne had spunk that I loved!  Plus, the weaving that she did sounded amazing!  The author does a great job describing the weaving process and I felt that I could see it perfectly.  I also liked the relationship that Adne and Connor have.  It's not quite a romance but slightly more than just friends.  It leaves you wondering if there is more to come with them or if it will just stay the same.

Shay, as always, needs to be rescued by Calla all the time.  He isn't allowed to fight or do anything but sit back and watch.  I understand the importance of who he is and why they want to keep him protected but it kinda turns me off of him a little.  I kinda wish that Calla would find Ren or someone better.

I thought the wraiths were very spooky!  The descriptions of what the pack went through were vivid and my skin crawled to think of something like that really happening to someone.  I loved how creepy they were.  I could picture the black shadows torturing the souls of the others. 

I thought this book had a lot more action than the last one and I think it was because it was constantly moving.  The characters were planning and fighting and training and they were trying to find the safest way to free Calla's pack.  Once they get in, they find out which pack members were loyal to Calla and which ones wanted to kill her.

I also liked that we got the real history behind the Searchers, Keepers and Guardians.  It's a sad history but one that is realistic (as realistic as can be when you're reading about werewolf type creatures)!  The ending tied the history in very nicely but had left me wanting to read more to see if what Logan tells Shay and Calla is really true.  I won't say more since I don't want to give it away!

All in all, this book had more action, in my opinion, but I think I still like Nightshade better.  I liked the romance in it more and loved Shay in it.  This one....not so much.  So, go find it and see what you think!




No comments:

Post a Comment