Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Book Review: Posession by Elana Johnson

Possession (Possession, #1)

Synopsis (from Goodreads):  Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.

My Thoughts:  I have read some bad reviews of this book so I was hesitant to read it but I'm really glad I did!  I thought it was a great book and an easy read. 

Imagine a world where you can't think for yourself.  You don't have any choices.  You just do what the Thinkers tell you to do and think what they want you to think.  Unless of course, you are a free-thinker.  Then you are arrested and re-trained. 

Violet is a free-thinker but she lives in the Goodgrounds.  She tries to be a "goodie" but she hates having her thoughts controlled so she quits plugging into the transmissions and breaks numerous rules.  She gets caught walking in the park after dark with her match, Zenn.  Zenn is also a "goodie" and he's in the Special Forces.  Violet gets arrested for breaking yet another rule and she meets Jag in prison.  Jag is a "baddie".  Jag and Violet are put in the same cell and there Violet learns the secrets of her life.  She must decide is she's going to go back to the Goodgrounds and help the Association or if she's going to run with Jag and resist.

I loved the dystopian world that Elana Johnson created.  The Oceanic region, the Fire region, the Water region were all very vivid in my mind.  I loved all the new inventions and the super powers.  Violet could turn tech on and off and sense it.  I thought it was a fun power. 

I really liked Jag!  He was awesome but also not afraid to show emotion.  He was very protective of Vi but didn't overpower her.  I did think that their relationship moved pretty fast but hey, when your running for your life, I guess you have to move fast.  Jag was smart and witty and you couldn't help but like him.

Violet was very stubborn and independent.  She was spunky and had a sarcastic side of her as well.  I loved how she stood up to Thane and Zenn and I really liked her interactions with Gavin and "Baldie".  While I am still not sure if "Baldie" was a good guy or bad guy, I kinda liked him too!

The ending left me hanging!  I can't wait to get my hands on the next book.  I totally wasn't expecting how the book ended and I loved that I was completely surprised.  Quite honestly, I didn't like the ending but it's a perfect setup for the next book!


No comments:

Post a Comment