Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Book Review: Captivate by Carrie Jones

Synopsis (from Goodreads):  Zara and her friends knew they hadn't solved the pixie problem for good. Far from it. The king's needs grow deeper every day he's stuck in captivity, while his control over his people gets weaker. It's made him vulnerable. And now there's a new king in town.

A turf war is imminent, since the new pixie king, Astley, is moving in quickly. Nick nearly killed him in the woods on day one, but Zara came to his rescue. Astley swears that he and Zara are destined to be together, that he's one of the good guys. Nick isn't buying it, though Zara isn't as sure -- despite herself, she wants to trust the new king. But it's a lot more than her relationship with Nick that is at stake. It's her life -- and his.


My Thoughts:  I enjoyed this book but not as much as I liked Need.  The first half of the book seemed to be all about how in love Nick and Zara were.  It's important to the story to realize how much they love each other but it was a little too much. 

Zara is still a great character!  I love her phobia obsession!  It is so fun to learn knew phobias for me and honestly, I have to agree with Zara...there should totally be a bowling phobia!  She is a very strong character but I found myself yelling at her several times to "quit being so stupid"!  I did like how the end turned out even though when it was happening I was cringing!  But it leads into the next book so well that I cannot wait to read Entice now!

Issie is still my favorite character (along with Betty).  She is just so fun and sweet and adorable.  You really just want to hug her and I feel her pain when she is trying to figure out her relationship with Devyn.  I liked how inventive she was in the bowling alley when Zara turned blue and how supportive she was.  I also love how trusting she was at the end of the book.  She showed that she was a true friend with no prejudices.

Nick....oh how I love and hate him!  He can be so patronizing, as Zara points out many times in the book.  He thinks he can do all and that gets a little annoying.  However, he is so protective of Zara that you can't help but love him.  Again, I was horrified of what happens to Nick but at the same time it leads into Entice so well that I can't be mad about it.

I love Betty!  She is so strong, independent and snarky!  I was sad that we didn't really see a ton of Betty and I can't wait to see how she reacts to Zara in Entice. 

Astley was another one I couldn't tell whether I liked or hated.  I want to trust him and believe that he can be right about pixies but I'm just not sure.  I do like how he seems to really care about Zara.  He seems sweet and good, not evil but like I said, I am not that trusting.  I think there is going to be a twist in here somewhere. 

This book had some good conflict, action and suspense.  I love the whole "Pixies are not Tinkerbell" idea and I enjoyed all the little "Pixie Tips" at the beginning of each chapter.  The way the book left me hanging at the end ensures that I will be reading Entice soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment