Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Book Review: Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard

Something Strange and Deadly

Synopsis (from Goodreads):  There’s something strange and deadly loose in Philadelphia…

Eleanor Fitt has a lot to worry about. Her brother has gone missing, her family has fallen on hard times, and her mother is determined to marry her off to any rich young man who walks by. But this is nothing compared to what she’s just read in the newspaper—

The Dead are rising in Philadelphia.

And then, in a frightening attack, a zombie delivers a letter to Eleanor…from her brother.

Whoever is controlling the Dead army has taken her brother as well. If Eleanor is going to find him, she’ll have to venture into the lab of the notorious Spirit-Hunters, who protect the city from supernatural forces. But as Eleanor spends more time with the Spirit-Hunters, including their maddeningly stubborn yet handsome inventor, Daniel, the situation becomes dire. And now, not only is her reputation on the line, but her very life may hang in the balance.

My Thoughts:  My first thought upon seeing this book was "how beautiful is that cover?".  Seriously...it is gorgeous!  Other than that I really didn't have a whole lot of expectations going into this one.  I haven't read too many zombie stories so I thought I'd give this one a try and I'm glad I did!

Eleanor's brother is missing and it is up to her to find him.  Of course, it's all made a little more difficult since the dead are rising!  Eleanor finds out that this is all the doing of a necromancer (love it!) and it is up to her and the Spirit Hunters to figure out how to stop the necromancer. 

I really liked Eleanor.  She was independant (although sometimes she was too independant) and stubborn but at the same time she is brave and smart.  I love that she doesn't care what others think of her!  I really liked how snarky she was and how she didn't always do what she was supposed to do.  She was very spunky and I enjoyed that.

Daniel was one of the characters that you just don't know if you love him or hate him.  He is very grumpy at times and you just don't know what to think of him.  I loved his unpredictability.  I really enjoyed the romance because it wasn't too much.  I also loved how it wasn't a resolved relationship at the end.  It kept you guessing as to what would be happening. 

This was one of those books that you can't put down once you pick it up.  It keeps your interest throughout the book.  I read it pretty much read it all in a 24 hour period!  A must read for this summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment