Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Book Review: Rodeo Queen by Marci Peschke

Rodeo Queen (Kylie Jean)

Synopsis (from Goodreads):  When the rodeo comes to town, Kylie Jean decides she wants to be the Rodeo Queen! But to do that, she must learn rodeo tricks.
My Thoughts:  My daughter and I have never read any other Kylie Jean books before.  Now I have a list of all the ones my daughter wants to read.  She loved this one!  I mean, what 6 year old girl wouldn't like a book with pink and glitter on the front right? 

This was a great beginning chapter book.  My 6 year old is an advanced reader so she was able to read this one very easily but she enjoyed every minute of it!

The story was a cute, fun story.  Kylie Jean is sassy and funny and her dog has a great name...Ugly Brother!  My daughter laughed everytime she read the dog's name. 

As a parent, I liked that the book dealt with some let downs and how to handle them as well as some uplifting moments.  I also liked how it was about following your dreams and not giving up despite different setbacks.  I also liked the discussions questions in the back.  I was able to make sure my daughter actually comprehended what she read (when she read it by herself). 

The illustrations were also fun and quirky!  I enjoyed them as well as my daughter.  This book is perfect for little girls that are beginning to read chapter books. 


No comments:

Post a Comment