Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Friday, June 10, 2011

Book Review: Nightfall in Mogadishu by Veronica Li


Synopsis (from Amazon.com):  Nightfall in Mogadishu is a spy thriller and historical novel set in Somalia. It weaves the country’s history, politics and culture into a tale of international intrigue. Susan Chen, a CIA agent is sent to Mogadishu to thwart a plot to overthrow the government. She finds a nation that has lost its soul and is whirling into a vortex of violence and terror.

My Thoughts:  Wow!  This book was not something I would typically read but I really enjoyed it.  I don't know a lot about Somalia so it was really interesting for me to read about all the chaos and upheaval there.

It is the early 1990s and CIA Agent Susan Chen is sent to replace a U.N. Representative in Somalia.  Once there, Susan must try to stay alive while hunting someone who is killing high-ranking, international officials.

This book was filled with suspense and was fast paced.  The author makes you feel like you are in the streets of Somalia with her descriptions.  Her characters are well developed and I felt that I had a connection with Susan.  There is some romance and some sex but it is mostly a really intense thriller. I learned about the fall of Somalia without even realizing it because it was so entertaining.   I was up way past my bedtime last night to finish it but it was worth it!




No comments:

Post a Comment