Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Book Review: Falling for Hamlet by Michelle Ray

Falling for Hamlet
Title:  Falling for Hamlet
Author:  Michelle Ray
Publisher:  Poppy
Publish Date:  July 5, 2011
Source:  Book It Forward ARC Tours

Synopsis (from Goodreads):  
Meet Ophelia: a blonde, beautiful high-school senior and long-time girlfriend of Prince Hamlet of Denmark. Her life is dominated not only by her boyfriend's fame and his overbearing family, but also by the paparazzi who hound them wherever they go. As the devastatingly handsome Hamlet spirals into madness after the mysterious death of his father, the King, Ophelia rides out his crazy roller coaster life, and lives to tell about it. In live television interviews, of course.
Passion, romance, drama, humor, and tragedy intertwine in this compulsively readable debut novel, told by a strong-willed, modern-day Ophelia.

My Thoughts:  I have to admit that I have never read Hamlet before (I know....gasp right?).  In high school I had to read King Lear and after that I never wanted to read Shakespear again!  So, it was with great fear and tripidation that I picked this book up!

I LOVED it!  Ophelia was a very realistic character!  She was strong and yet she loved Hamlet so much that she would almost do anything for him.  There were times when I thought she was a little dumb but hey, aren't we all when it comes to love?

Hamlet was sweet and a complete jerk!  There were times when I wanted to punch him in the face and times when I wanted to kiss him.  When he goes crazy, it is very believable!

I really like Horatio and Sebastian!  Horation is the ultimate best friend.  He sticks by both Hamlet and Ophelia through thick and thin.  Sebastian was also great!  I loved that there was a chance for him and Ophelia at the end.  He was a huge character but had just enough of a presence.

I really enjoyed how the book went from Ophelia's point of view to the Investigator's interview to the talk show interview.  It helped to break the book up a little and just give it a little something different. 

Like I said, I haven't ever read the real Hamlet (but I plan to now) but I really liked this book.  It gets a 5 out 5 for me (I'm not on my home computer so I don't have my star graphics).

No comments:

Post a Comment