Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Book Review: Zan-Gah by Allan Richard Shickman

Zan-Gah:  A Prehistoric Adventure (Zan-Gah, #1)

Synopsis (from Good Reads):  Zan-Gah, seeking his lost twin brother in a savage prehistoric world, encounters adventure, suffering, conflict, captivity, and final victory. In three years hero passes from an uncertain boyhood to a tried and proven manhood and a position of leadership among his people. Themes include survival, brotherhood, cultures, gender roles, psychological trauma, and nature's wonders and terrors. This is the electronic version of Zan-Gah: A Prehistoric Adventure, which has been awarded Mom's Choice Gold Medal for Series, the Eric Hoffer Notable Book Award, and was a finalist for ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year.

My thoughts:  This story was full of excitement and adventure!  Not my usual read, I was hesitant to sit down with it.  However, my son and I read it together and we both really enjoyed it.  I liked that the writing was basic and easy to understand so my son could enjoy it without constantly interrupting to ask what certain words meant. 

The story was about Zan and his missing twin, Dael.  After fighting against a lion with the tribes and being the one to actually kill her, Zan becomes known as Zan-Gah.  Zan dreams that his brother is still alive and searches for him, after fighting with his parents over it. Zan suffers many trials to find his brother including almost dying in the desert and being taken captive by the people who took his brother.  Zan is a very courageous character and he grows and matures throughout the book. 

At first I was afraid that my son wasn't interested in the book.  My son is 8 but reads at a 5th grade level so I wasn't worried about his comprehending it at all, just about his interest in it.  However, I didn't need to worry about it because my son loved it so much that he actually asked to re-read it himself after we finished it and I heard him telling his friends about it and how great it was.  I think with all the action and adventure in this book, even the most reluctant reader will enjoy it!

There was only one thing that I didn't care for and that was the chapter about Zan's uncle Chul.  It was just a little out of order or misplaced.  It didn't flow well for me but my son didn't seem to notice or care so it may have just been something that was a little off for me. 

I am excited for my son to read the second book Zan-Gah and the Beautiful Country.  I think he will enjoy it as much as the first but we will let you know soon!


1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you and your young son liked Zan-Gah. I think of it as a book for kids at least ten years old, so your boy must be quiet an advanced reader. The sequel is a little older still, but that's what mommies are for. The third book of the Zan-Gah series, Dael and the Painted People, is nearly finished. Watch for it this summer at the new web address:

    www.zan-gah.net

    Thanks for a friendly review.

    Allan R. Shickman

    ReplyDelete