Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Book Review: The Summoner by Layton Green

The Summoner (The Dominic Grey Novels)

Synopsis (from Goodreads):  A United States diplomat disappears in front of hundreds of onlookers while attending a religious ceremony in the bushveld of Zimbabwe.

Dominic Grey, Diplomatic Security special agent, product of a violent childhood and a worn passport, is assigned to investigate. Aiding the investigation is Professor Viktor Radek, religious phenomenologist and expert on cults, and Nya Mashumba, the local government liaison.

What Grey uncovers is a terrifying cult older than Western civilization, the harsh underbelly of a country in despair, a demagogic priest seemingly able to perform impossibilities, and the identity of the newest target.

Himself.

The first work in a globe-hopping series whose protagonists investigate the world’s most bizarre and dangerous cults, The Summoner is a stylish, haunting novel of mystery and suspense that will linger long after the last page is turned.

My Thoughts:  Dominic Grey works with Diplomatic Security as a Special Agent.  His newest assignment:  travel to Zimbabwe to find the missing head of the Consulate,  William Addison.  Addison was last seen at a Juju ceremony where he mysteriously disappeared. 

Grey is assigned to work with two other investigators, Viktor Radek and the beautiful Nya Mashumba.  Viktor is a complete mystery and Nya is set on revenge.  After another disappearance of a young girl occurs, they are led to a small village where no one will talk about the girl.

I really enjoyed this book!  The descriptions of Zimbabwe made me feel like I was there.  I loved learning about Zimbabwe's people and cultures and enjoyed reading about the Juju religion.  There were some parts that were disturbing to me (torture, cruelty, etc.) but nothing that put me off the book.  I made the mistake of reading this book at night with my husband and work and I have to say, I was double checking to make sure my doors were locked!  Plus, I stayed up all night to finish it.  This is one book that you will not want to put down once you start it. 

This is the first book in the Domnic Grey series and I cannot wait to get my hands on the second book!  The unpredictability, the surprises and the twists and turns make it a fast read and one that you won't forget easily!



1 comment:

  1. I do love a book that gives one a good case of the creeps!

    ReplyDelete