Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Book Review: Between Here and Forever by Elizabeth Scott

Between Here and Forever

Synopsis (from Goodreads):  Abby accepted that she can’t measure up to her beautiful, magnetic sister Tess a long time ago, and knows exactly what she is: Second best. Invisible.

Until the accident.

Now Tess is in a coma, and Abby’s life is on hold. It may have been hard living with Tess, but it's nothing compared to living without her.

She's got a plan to bring Tess back though, involving the gorgeous and mysterious Eli, but then Abby learns something about Tess, something that was always there, but that she’d never seen.

Abby is about to find out that truth isn't always what you think it is, and that life holds more than she ever thought it could...

My Thoughts:  Abby's sister is in a coma after a car accident.  Abby visits her sister daily.  However, it is the same thing with Tess day after day.  Until one day Eli stops by to say hi and Abby thinks she sees her sisters eyes move.  Then she has a plan but she has to decide is she really wants her sister to wake up.  After all, she has lived in her sister's shadow all her life. 

This book was just okay for me.  I hated how insecure Abby was.  She spent the whole first half of the book comparing herself to her sister.  Abby wasn't as pretty as Tess or as smart or as popular, blah blah blah.  It just got old pretty fast. 

I loved Eli!  As a person who struggles with OCD (and not just being anal-retentive but honest to God OCD), I thought the author did an amazing job is describing how completely this disorder can take over your life.  OCD is not just "my house has to be spotless" or "these clothes have to be folded a certain way or I'm not happy."  It is more like "I must get out of bed 10 times to check and make sure the doors are locked or I CANNOT sleep" or I have to vacuum a certain way 10 times or I cannot leave my house.  This disorder is serious and I have heard so many people say "I'm OCD" when really they have no idea how consuming it is. 

I thought this book was a little slow.  I did like the revelation about Tess at the end but it wasn't a huge surprise to me.  However, I think this book had some good issues in it and I think girls could benefit from reading it...if they can get past Abby's whining all the time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment