Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Monday, June 13, 2011

Book Review: Playing Hurt by Holly Schindler

Playing Hurt

**I received this book from Banned Book Tours**

Synopsis (from Goodreads): 
Star basketball player Chelsea "Nitro" Keyes had the promise of a full ride to college-and everyone's admiration in her hometown. But everything changed senior year, when she took a horrible fall during a game. Now a metal plate holds her together and she feels like a stranger in her own family.
As a graduation present, Chelsea's dad springs for a three-week summer "boot camp" program at a northern Minnesota lake resort. There, she's immediately drawn to her trainer, Clint, a nineteen-year-old ex-hockey player who's haunted by his own traumatic past. As they grow close, Chelsea is torn between her feelings for Clint and her loyalty to her devoted boyfriend back home. Will an unexpected romance just end up causing Chelsea and Clint more pain-or finally heal their heartbreak?

My Thoughts:
Chelsea was the star basketball player at her high school until she slipped on some spilled soda during a game and blew her hip out.  After graduation, Chelsea and her family head to Minnesota to a resort where Chelsea meets Clint.  However, Chelsea has a boyfriend waiting for her at home and Clint has a tragedy of his own to get through. 

I enjoyed this book and thought that it was very realistic when it came to the issues Chelsea and Clint were going through.  I wish they weren't the "perfect, tan, beautiful and/or handsome" cliche but I thought they were well rounded characters. 

Now, while I thought the characters were well rounded, it doesn't mean I liked them.  I thought Chelsea was selfish and self absorbed.  I don't like cheaters and while I understand she is young and doesn't really know what love is yet, it is no excuse to cheat on her boyfriend.  She knew things weren't right with Gabe but instead of just ending it when things heated up with Clint, she let it go on (and kept telling Clint it wasn't  his problem) and that I don't agree with.  I also didn't care for her constant obsession with being a virgin.  I don't mind the teen sex part (after all, I am not dumb...I know it happens) but for Chelsea to put so much emphasis on how "bad" it is to be a virgin after graduating from high school was a little much for me. 

Now, since I am an adult here, I did enjoy the romance between Chelsea and Clint.  It was hot, steamy and not too graphic.  But, since there was the indication of sex in the book, I would recommend it for older, high school, over 16 aged kids. 

I thought the whole "overcome your troubles and live life to the fullest" message was great and I enjoyed the book. I loved Brandon, Chelsea's annoying little brother and I thought Gabe was okay. He was a little needy and sappy but I still don't think he deserved to be cheated on.

If you like contemporary YA romance books, you will enjoy this one.  The writing was wonderful and I will read more of Holly Schindler's books.





No comments:

Post a Comment