Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Friday, January 31, 2014

Book Review: Siege and Storm (The Grisha #2) by Leigh Bardugo





Synopsis (from Goodreads):  Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.

My Thoughts:  I just finished Shadow and Bone and was extremely happy that I had Siege and Storm ready to read.  I jumped eagerly into it and devoured the story and now I have to wait four long months for Ruin and Rising.  Four.  Long.  Months!  This will be torture!

We left Mal and Alina escaping on a whaler boat at the end of Shadow and BoneSiege and Storm picks up shortly after the have left the boat (with a "Before" chapter explaining, briefly, their time on the boat) and have hidden out in a small village.  They are just normal people living at a boarding house and working in the factories.  This book starts off with a bang as Alina feels something is off one day as her and Mal return home from their jobs.  Sadly, her feelings were correct and Mal and Alina were caught by the Darkling.  Now they have to fight for their way to safety and try to defeat the Darkling again while trying to save Ravka.

I was a little annoyed with Alina several times throughout this book but at the same time, I still loved her.  She definitely figured out how to embrace her power (maybe a little too much?) and proved that she wasn't the meek little orphan she had been.  However, there were times (I can't really describe when because I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it yet) that I thought Alina should just suck it up and let Mal know what was going on.  Maybe he could have helped her figure it out.  I also thought she was a little too obsessive about the Firebird at times.  I couldn't decide if she was turning "dark" or really trying to do the best for Ravka.

I liked Mal more in this book than I did the first one.  He obviously does not belong at the Little Palace and while he makes it known to Alina that he is unhappy, he deals with it the best he can.  It might not be the best way to have dealt with it but he tried.  I absolutely did not blame him for the way he treated Alina sometimes.  I was just as frustrated with her!  Mal proved to be loyal but he didn't take crap from Alina.  

The Darkling, while a bad, bad man, was still seductive and I still found myself liking him (for a bad guy).  He still knows what to say to get you to fall for him but his little "friends" made him seem a lot more unlikeable.  I struggled with him because I know he's bad and I don't want to like him but I feel for him a little bit.  

Sturmhond was awesome and by far my favorite character.  Again, I don't want to say too much in case there is anyone out there who hasn't read this book but I did not predict who he was and loved that twist in the story.  I think he truly has Ravka's best interest at heart and I didn't feel like he was using Alina.  I liked their relationship throughout the book and I am anxiously awaiting for the next book to see what happened to him.

Rarely can I honestly say that I enjoyed the sequel more than I enjoyed the first book but in this case, I did.  I thought Shadow and Bone was amazing but Siege and Storm kept me captivated and amazed me even more.  I am very anxiously awaiting the third and final in this series to see how Alina's story ends.  Did I mention I was going to have to wait FOUR long months??  

 

1 comment:

  1. I realize I haven't said all that much about the book, and for that I apologize. Sometimes it's very hard to review a book you liked a heckuva lot. All I can really say is go read SIEGE AND STORM!
    Baby Gift Basket click here

    ReplyDelete