Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Monday, August 13, 2012

Book Review: Heaven by Alexandra Ardornetto


**I received this book from Around the World ARC Tours for review**

Synopsis (from Goodreads): Bethany, an angel sent to Earth, and her mortal boyfriend, Xavier, have been to Hell and back. But now their love will be put to its highest test yet, as they defy Heavenly law and marry. They don’t tell Beth’s archangel siblings, Gabriel and Ivy, but the angels know soon enough, and punishment comes in a terrifying form: the Sevens, who are rogue angels bent on keeping Beth and Xavier apart, destroying Gabriel and Ivy, and darkening angelic power in the heavens.

The only way Bethany and Xavier can elude the Sevens is to hide in the open, and blend in with other mortals their own age. Gabriel and Ivy set them up at college, where they can’t reveal their relationship, and where there is still danger around each corner. Will Bethany be called back to Heaven – forever – and face leaving the love of her life?

My Thoughts:  Let me start by saying this is the third and last book in the series so if you haven't read the first two, there may be spoilers in this review.

Okay, that being said, I read this because I wanted to end the series.  I didn't really care for Halo, did not like Hades and I am sad to say, Heaven followed that pattern.  It was not a book for me at all.  It was really all I could do to get through it. 

At the end of Hades, Xavier and Bethany had skipped out on their graduation.  At the beginning of this book, they are in a diner and Xavier has proposed to Bethany and they are getting ready to leave for the church to get married.  God, or Heaven, or someone from up above lets them know that this is not a good plan by sending an "earthquake".  Despite this, they decide to get married anyways. 

As soon as they are married, the Reaper shows up and kills the priest that married them.  This is just the start of the problems for Xavier and Bethany.  Now the "Seven" are after them and they must go into hiding.  Xavier has to completely cut off his family and him and Bethany head to college as "brother and sister" instead of "husband and wife". 

In this book, Bethany acts like a two year old.  Seriously!  She doesn't seem to care about anything but what she wants.  While hiding in the cabin, she gets "bored" and whines the whole time.  Um, sorry but how did you get into this position?  Maybe because you broke some serious rules?  Deal with it, sweetheart!  Plus, Bethany is an angel remember...and yet, she leads Xavier down the wrong path a few times.  Just didn't really make sense that Xavier was a better "Christian" than Bethany and she was the angel. 

I thought the description of the college was ridiculous too.  Bethany heads to her dorm room and it is completely boring (as most dorm rooms are).  However, I lived in a college dorm and never did I see "stains on the mattresses" or other such things.  In fact, the rooms, while bare and boring, were very clean.  I have NEVER heard of anyone bringing in "interior decorators" to decorate a dorm room, as Ivy said.  I mean, you are there for 9 months.  Really?  Maybe I just wasn't that concerned or maybe since I didn't go to an Ivy League school I wasn't aware of that but I have never seen or heard of an interior designer for a dorm room.  I thought Bethany acted like a spoiled little girl when she was in college (well, really throughout the book) but she was mad when a girl asked Xavier out (don't forget that the girl has NO idea that Xavier was married since he was "Ford" and only had a sister), she described her roommate as clingy and disliked her dorm room.  It was really annoying.

As for the Seven, they weren't scary at all.  I wasn't understanding how they could not find Bethany either.  Supposedly because she was "surrounded" by humans, they couldn't "sense" her.  I just found that difficult to believe.  And really, why would the Seven even care if Bethany broke the rules?  I was kinda under the impression that they were "rogue" angels but maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.

Unfortunately I did not care for this book at all.  However, I think some of the  younger population may like them. Maybe since they don't have the experience of college yet (so  have nothing to compare it too) they might be able to deal with that part better than I did.  As for Bethany's childish behavior, well that was a huge turnoff to me!  Maybe someone younger won't find it so ridiculous. 

Anyways, I guess I now have closure to the series.  I am sad to say it just wasn't good for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment