Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Book Review: Dead to You by Lisa McMann

Dead to You

**Received book from Around the World ARC Tours for review**

Synopsis (from Goodreads):  Ethan was abducted from his front yard when he was just seven years old. Now, at sixteen, he has returned to his family. It's a miracle... at first. Then the tensions start to build. His reintroduction to his old life isn't going smoothly, and his family is tearing apart all over again. If only Ethan could remember something, anything, about his life before, he'd be able to put the pieces back together. But there's something that's keeping his memory blocked. Something unspeakable...

My Thoughts:  I devoured this book in only a few short hours.  Seriously, it took me two hours to read this book it was THAT good!  It helped that the chapters were short and it was a naturally fast read but I could not put this one down for a minute!

Ethan was 7 when he was abducted from his yard in front of his little brother Blake.  For 9 years, his parents and the small town he was from has held out hope that he will return.  As the story begins, Ethan is 16 and waiting to be reunited with his parents, his little brother and his little sister (which he terms the "replacement child"). 

Ethan's parents are instantly sure that he is their long-lost son despite the fact that he remembers nothing from the first 7 years of his life.  They take Ethan home and Ethan begins the process of becoming reacquainted with his family.  He is overwhelmed by the family and friends that he doesn't remember, the house he doesn't remember and the sibling he doesn't remember.  Blake is making things very difficult with his anger issues and is constantly asking Ethan why he got in the car with those people and why he doesn't remember anything. 

After an event at the high school basketball game puts Ethan in hysterics and then the hospital, Ethan starts making his own demands.  No school and his own room in the basement (the one place he feels comfortable).  He must return to school but he finds that the kids there genuinely care for him, especially his neighbor and childhood best friend, Cami.

Until the end when a secret comes out that makes Ethan remember everything.  And that can ruin it all.

I loved Ethan!  I felt so bad for him, especially when Blake was being a brat.  He just wanted his family back and to fit in.  It was so hard for him to trust anyone.  He is trying to deal with coming into a caring family who has rules and expectations after being a kid on the street who answered only to himself. 

Blake was a jerk!  I didn't like him from the beginning to end.  I understand his issues but he was just downright mean.  His parents didn't seem to have a great handle on it either and I was annoyed with that.  He was by far my least favorite character.

I loved Gracie.  She was the "replacement child" and the De Wilde's 6 year old daughter.  She took to Ethan rather quickly and she helped him feel comfortable.  She was funny and had a knack for easing the tension in the room when it needed easing.  The things that she said were too cute and I thought she was an awesome secondary character.


**SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT**
So, the ending....I can't really say a lot because I absolutely do not want to give it away but NOT what I wanted as the ending.  I thought it a little ironic too.  Let me see if I can phrase this right.  Bear with me, it may be a little confusing as I don't want to give too much away.  So, Ethan returns to his family 9 years after his disappearance.  At the end of the book, 9 years and some months after Ethan's abduction, something happens to turn the De Wilde's family upside down.  The fact that it happened all around the same time was a little unbelievable for me.  I just didn't buy it and thought there were other ways that this could have happened.

**SPOILER OVER**

So, other than that little glitch, I really enjoyed the book.  I have some questions left over after the end but I guess I can come to my own conclusions.  This was a gripping novel that you won't be able to put down!


No comments:

Post a Comment