Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Book Review: The Alchemy of Forvever by Avery Williams

The Alchemy of Forever

**Book received from Around the World ARC Tours for review**

Synopsis (from Goodreads):  People say ‘love never dies’… but love might be the death of Seraphina. Seraphina has been alive since the Middle Ages, when her boyfriend, Cyrus, managed to perfect a method of alchemy that lets them swap bodies with any human being. Sera ran away from Cyrus years ago, when she realized that what they were doing—taking the lives of innocent people—was wrong. She doesn’t want to die, so she finds young people who are on the brink of death, and inhabits their bodies. When we meet Sera, she has landed in the body of a girl named Kailey who was about to die in a car accident. For the first time, Sera falls in love with the life of the person she’s inhabiting. Sera also falls for the boy next door, Noah. And soon it’s clear the feelings are returned. Unfortunately, she can never kiss Noah, because for her to touch lips with a human would mean the human’s death. And she has even more to worry about: Cyrus is chasing her, and if she stays in one place for long, she puts herself—and the people she’s grown to care for—in danger.
My Thoughts:  I started this book last night and maybe it was because my kids were gone (spending some time with Grandma) or maybe it was just really this good but I could not put it down.  I finished it in less than 24 hours.  It was excellent!

Seraphina is 14 when we first meet her.  She is at a masquerade ball and meets up with the Alchemist's son, Cyrus.  While talking in the garden, Cyrus and Seraphine encounter two thieves.  One of these thieves stabs Sera and Cyrus saves her life....with alchemy.

Now Sera is 600 years old.  She survives by stealing an innocent victim's body, therefore, ending that person's life.  Sera is tired of killing and she is tired of being under Cyrus' control so she decides that she is going to escape and end her immortal life. She does escape but before she can end her life, she witnesses a car accident.  Kailey, the driver, is a pretty, 16 year old girl that doesn't stand a chance.  Regardless, Sera tries CPR and in turn, steals her body.

Now Sera, aka Kailey, is living a stolen life.  She has a family, friends and a new boyfriend.  She is finally having some fun and while she still feels guilty, she thinks that maybe this time she can make it work.  However, that is before she finds out that Cyrus is looking for her.  When Cyrus turns up in town, Sere has to decide whether to run or stay and fight.

Sera/Kailey is a sweet character.  She is not weak or stupid at all but she has feels guilty for all the deaths she has caused.  She truly does not want to hurt Kailey's family or Kailey's friends.  She was very courageous and I loved how she really put others before herself but not in a corny or unbelievable way.  She was very easy to connect with.

I loved that the story was about alchemy!  This is so different from all the others I have been reading and so refreshing!  I enjoyed how it began with historical fiction (although not a lot...just a prologue) and continued to have references of Sera's life (along with Cyrus' and Charlotte's lives) throughout the story. 

The ending has left me dumbfounded!  Really!  Totally not what I expected and I am still not 100% sure I know exactly what is going on.  I suspect I know but I'm left wanting more NOW!  I can't stand the thought that I may be right as I love that certain character.  Yes, I am being invasive but no spoilers here. 

This is a must read book!!  It was different than other YA books but completely engrossing!  I cannot wait to go out and buy this book for my own bookshelf!


No comments:

Post a Comment