Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Book Review: Awake at Dawn by C.C. Hunter

Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls, #2)

Synopsis (from Goodreads):  
Now that she’s settled in at Shadow Falls Camp, Kylie Galen’s determined to discover the extent of her supernatural abilities.  But with a ghost insisting someone Kylie loves is about die, a rogue vampire on a murdering rampage, and her sixth sense telling her someone is watching her, Kylie’s quest for answers is quickly put on hold. 
To make matters worse, just when she’s about to give her heart to Derek, a half-fairy, he starts pulling away.  When Lucas, a werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past, returns, Kylie’s feels more conflicted than ever. Her weekend with her mom should have been the just the break Kylie needs, but it turns out to be her breaking point.  Someone from the dark side of the supernatural world has plans for Kylie--and it'll take all her resources to get back to Shadow Falls alive...

My Thoughts:  Awake at Dawn picks up right where Born at Midnight left off.  There was no "6 months later" which I appreciated.  For me personally, it took a little while to get into the book but I think it was because it had been so long since I'd read the first one so I was trying to remember it all! 

Kylie is still at Shadow Falls Camp.  Her roommates, Della and Miranda are still her friends and she is still having feelings for Derek.  However, she is also still dreaming of Lucas...good dreams....sexy dreams.  So she is trying to figure out all this as well as trying to figure out what, exactly, she is.  She is still a strong character and I liked her just as much as I did in the first book.  She has a very sarcastic attitude that I love! 

Della and Miranda are also some of my favorite characters in this book.  Della is still angry at her parents and at becoming a vampire but she is so fun too.  She really has a sarcastic and snippy attitude that kept me laughing throughout the book.  Miranda is sweet and I felt her pain when she was going through her issue (sorry...no spoilers here!).  I thought they were great friends for Kylie and were honestly always there for her...even when she thought they wouldn't be. 

Derek and Lucas are still up in the air for me.  I think Derek is a hottie and so sweet and I think him and Kylie would make a cute couple but Lucas is dangerous and passionate.  So, I like them both but haven't decided who I want Kylie to be with yet. 

I love the tension between Burnett and Holiday!  I think Holiday is probably my favorite character besides Kylie.  She is the big sister Kylie never had and even when she was disappointed in Kylie, she was still loyal and there for her.  Burnett is a great match for Holiday and he is stubborn so I think if they get into a romantic relationship it will be fun to read about!

I enjoyed how we are still trying to find out what Kylie is.  It kept me interested throughout the book plus the mystery of who was killing girls in town.  By page 100, I couldn't put the book down at all!  I wanted to continue to find out what was going on and I was kept on the edge of my seat.

So, while I had a little bit of a hard time getting started, I certainly did not have a hard time finishing it!  It was fast-paced, mysterious and suspensful!  It was a great sequel to Born at Midnight and I am anxiously awaiting for the third book!

No comments:

Post a Comment