Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Monday, October 17, 2011

Book Review: Supernaturally by Kiersten White

Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2)

Synopsis (from Goodreads):  
Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be . . . kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees.
But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself.
So much for normal.

My Thoughts:  I loved the first book in this series, Paranormalcy.  It was just about as perfect as a book could get for me so I was kinda expecting this one to not live up to the first and sadly, I was right.  It wasn't as good as Paranormalcy but it was still really good and a super fun read.

I just love Evie!  She is super funny, not too moody although a little more "feel sorry for me" than in the last book.  She didn't have as much fun finding paranormals in this book since she has left the IPCA but we did see some bag & tags.  I didn't like how much she was dependent on Lend in this book.  She lost a little of her appeal here but still a great character!

I was sad that we didn't see as much of Lend in this book as we did in the last.  I loved how in Paranormalcy he was fun and quirky.  In this one, he seemed grown up, serious and tended to nag a lot.  I wanted him to be his funny, invisible self but it just wasn't quite there for me in this book.

I liked the other characters, Ariana, Raquel and even Reth but there were some things in this book that just didn't make sense to me really.  I didn't really think Jack was a needed character, although he was fun until the end.  I wasn't sure what the deal was with Nona and the other paranormals, the Dark Fairie Queen and Evie's father.  These things were brought into the story and then were just kinda left hanging there.  I can only hope that all this is to set up the third book, Endlessly. 

So, while I did still enjoy this book and I found it fun and a quick read, it wasn't nearly as good as Paranormalcy.  I can't wait to read Endlessly and see how all of this comes together.


No comments:

Post a Comment