Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Book Review: Opal (Lux #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Synopsis (from Goodreads):  No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.

My Thoughts:  I finished this book last month but we are wrapping up school and have some house stuff going on (a kitchen remodel) so I'm slacking here.  
My first word of advice for this book is to have the next book, Origin, ready to read because the cliff hanger on this one is crazy!  My heart broke when I read the end of this one so I was happy that I could immediately jump into the next book.

Katy and Daemon are finally together and admitting their feelings for each other without any hesitation.  With that being said, I have to tell you, I miss the romantic tension there.  It's not quite as fun to read about them because you aren't waiting on edge for the romance to happen anymore.  Daemon is still funny and sarcastic though and I love him for that.  Katy still makes some dumb choices but hey, we are all human right?  Well, I guess maybe not in this case but you know what I mean!

Blake is a jerk.  I can't stand him but honestly, there are times when I actually feel a little sorry for him.  I am still not really sure what his part is in this whole story but he's still hiding a lot (which becomes painfully obvious at the end).  I think he really does miss Katy as a friend though and I think he did really like her but I cannot bring myself to like his character at all.

When it comes to Katy and Dee's friendship, you can't help but feel for both of them.  Katy made some seriously bad choices in the last book so I can understand why Dee is so angry at her.  But at the same time, it wasn't ALL Katy's fault.  I really want Katy and Dee to repair this friendship but I'm not sure how that's going to turn out.  

This was not my favorite book in this series.  I felt that out of the three that I have read, there wasn't really a lot of action until the end.  Dawson is back and they are trying to find a way to save Beth but it wasn't all that exciting.  Don't get me wrong, it was still a good book but it wasn't an "I cannot put this book down" kind of book like the first two were.  

If you haven't picked up this series yet, I really recommend that you do.  Even though this book wasn't my favorite, the ending made up for a lot of it.  


1 comment:

  1. I'm a huge fan of Jennifer L. Armentrout since the very beginning. And seriously, how not to love Daemon! ;)
    Seriously though, as you wrote it in your review, this one isn't my favorite in the series, but as usual I still had a blast reading it. But the cliffhanger...Wow!

    ReplyDelete