Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Book Review: Dead Girl's Don't Lie by Jennifer Shaw Wolf

Dead Girls Don't Lie 
**Received from Around the World ARC Tours for review**

Synopsis (from Goodreads):  Rachel died at two a.m . . . Three hours after Skyler kissed me for the first time. Forty-five minutes after she sent me her last text.
Jaycee and Rachel were best friends. But that was before. . .before that terrible night at the old house. Before Rachel shut Jaycee out. Before Jaycee chose Skyler over Rachel. Then Rachel is found dead. The police blame a growing gang problem in their small town, but Jaycee is sure it has to do with that night at the old house. Rachel’s text is the first clue—starting Jaycee on a search that leads to a shocking secret. Rachel’s death was no random crime, and Jaycee must figure out who to trust before she can expose the truth.
In the follow-up to her powerful debut, Jennifer Shaw Wolf keeps readers on their toes in another dark, romantic story of murder and secrets.


My Thoughts:  This was a great story and full of surprises.  It was fast paced and kept my interest and had just the right amount of spooky moments!  

Jaycee was best friends with Rachel for most of her life.  But suddenly Rachel goes down another path and shuts Jaycee out.  Jaycee is with a boy, experiencing her first kiss, when Rachel texts her and tells her she's in trouble.  Jaycee ignores the text and the next day, Rachel is dead.  

The police claim that it is a gang related crime but Jaycee isn't too sure.  When she finds out Rachel left her some clues in the event of her death, Jaycee starts digging.  Unfortunately for Jaycee, all that digging gets her in trouble and now she is the target.  

I liked Jaycee a lot.  Sometimes she seemed a little dumb and slightly annoying but for the most part, I enjoyed her character.  She really did love Rachel like a sister and would go to any lengths to find out what really happened to her. 

Personally, I thought Skylar, Evan and Eric Cross were pretty creepy but that could just be me.  They all ran hot and cold and you could never really get a good read on them.  You definitely got to understand Skyler and his situation a little better towards the middle of the story when you find out his family dynamics.  

I loved Eduardo and his attitude.  He watched out for Jaycee and was loyal to Rachel.  He stuck around through some hard times to make sure that Jaycee was okay and to help her try to figure out what really happened.  He was definitely sulky though.  

The mystery had me a little stumped until the end so that was a pleasant surprise.  I would think I figured out who did it but then there would be a twist or two and it would throw my whole theory out the window.  In the end, I was surprised by who did it but when I thought back to this person's actions throughout the book, I saw all the little clues.   I also liked how this book dealt with something I don't read about very often (gangs and gang violence).  Definitely a change from vampires and werewolves!  If you like murder mysteries with some romance thrown in, this is the book for you!

Orange Rounded Star Orange Rounded StarOrange Rounded StarOrange Rounded Star

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! The author's related to a friend of mine, but I still haven't read her books. Shame on me.

    ReplyDelete