Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Monday, July 15, 2013

Book Review: Dead Silence by Kimberly Derting

Dead Silence (The Body Finder, #4) 

Synopsis (from Goodreads):  Violet thought she’d made peace with her unique ability to sense the echoes of the dead and the imprints that cling to their killers…that is until she acquired an imprint of her own. Forced to carry a reminder of the horrible events of her kidnapping, Violet is more determined than ever to lead a normal life. However, the people who run the special investigative team Violet works for have no intention of letting her go.

When someone close to Violet becomes a suspect in a horrific murder, she finds herself pulled into a deadly hunt for a madman with an army of devoted followers. Violet has survived dangerous situations before, but she quickly discovers that protecting those closest to her is far more difficult than protecting herself.

My Thoughts:  I've heard this is the last book in the series.  If it is, I'm a little disappointed because it left so many loose ends.  Seriously, I have a ton of questions that were not even close to being answered.

Violet is a senior this year but instead of concentrating on fun stuff like prom, graduation, parties, etc., she is concentrating on ignoring her imprint and trying to get over being kidnapped in the previous book.   Then Violet finds a family dead in their home and her world is thrown upside down again.  Especially when she notices that one of the bodies does not have an imprint.  When one of her classmates is accused of the murder, Violet is determined to find out what happened.

Along with the murder of the family, Violet has been given her grandma's journals.  Her grandma had the same "gift" as Violet and begins to write about a group that called themselves the Circle of Seven.  It's a group very much like the one Violet is in with Rafe and Sara.  

Between figuring out what the connection is between the Circle of Seven and her own little group and trying to find a murderer, Violet's senior year is unlike any other.  

Okay, I realize that if Violet wasn't so stubborn and determined, this would probably be a really boring (and short) book but through the whole book I was rolling my eyes at her stupidity and all the risks she took.  She not only put herself in danger but others as well.  It drove me crazy.  I also think Violet is a little whiny.  She is constantly keeping secrets and then getting upset because no one "understands" her or what she is going through.  She really just annoys me.

Jay is the same as he has been in the other books.  It was actually boring for me.  He is loyal and will protect Violet to the end but the whole romance for me was boring and predictable.  

I really like Violet's team.  Rafe and Sara and Gemma, even Dr. Lee.  They add some mystery and interest to the book.  Dr. Lee was especially interesting in this book and I'm a little irritated that there were so many unanswered questions regarding him and the group. Then, Gemma just kind of disappears from the book.  It was disappointing to me as she was one of my favorite characters.

So, all in all, this was an okay book.  It wasn't great but it wasn't bad and if you have read the others in the series, you should obviously read this one too.   I just don't think it tied up all the loose ends and I still have a lot of questions.  


1 comment:

  1. I loved the first book in this series SO much, but the others have been really meh for me. Bummer, since I think there's so much potential here for a GREAT series. Oh well :(

    ReplyDelete