Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Book Review: All I Need by Susane Colasanti

**I received this book from Around the World ARC Tours for review**

Summary (from Goodreads):  The last night of summer is only the beginning.

Skye wants to meet the boy who will change her life forever. Seth feels their instant connection the second he sees her. When Seth starts talking to Skye at the last beach party of the summer, it’s obvious to both of them that this is something real. But when Seth leaves for college before they exchange contact info, Skye wonders if he felt the same way she did—and if she will ever see him again. Even if they find their way back to each other, can they make a long-distance relationship work despite trust issues, ex drama, and some serious background differences?

Teen favorite Susane Colasanti returns to the alternating-voice style of her beloved debut When It Happens in this Serendipity-inspired story about summer, soul mates, and the moments that change our lives forever.
 
My Thoughts: I'm going to be completely honest right away....I read 2/3 of this book and then I just skimmed the last part.  By skim, I mean I glanced through to see what happened but that's it.  I could not get into this one at all.
 
Skye spends the summers at her beach house.  Every year, there is a party on the beach and every year, Skye hopes to find "the one".  Now, I remember being a teen and going to a party hoping that there was some cute boy there that I could flirt with.  However, I never expected to find "THE ONE" because I was so young.  
 
Well, lucky for Skye, this summer she meets Seth and there is an instant connection.  It was love at first sight and all that stuff that most of us scoff at.  They spend the next couple days together but don't exchange any information like their last names, addresses, where they are even from, etc.  This struck me as kinda funny.  I mean, even in high school, I would introduce myself with my full name.  Getting to know someone usually includes finding out where they are from.  Skye and Seth spent a whole evening and day together and never even talked about where they were from?  
 
The last day, Seth and Skye are suppose to meet up and exchange all that information but Seth never shows.  So Skye goes back to high school (her junior year) and Seth starts college.  But neither of them can forget the other.
 
I had a hard time dealing with Skye during her junior year.  She compared every other guy to Seth and seriously couldn't move past him.  He was her soulmate and the only one for her.  It got really annoying and I felt she was very childish.  She certainly did not strike me as a junior in high school.
 
Seth was a little better and I liked reading about his first year in college.  I remember all those wonderful things you must deal with...the loud music through the walls, the skanky roommate (or in this case, the guy next door's roommate) who had sex while you were still in the room, the hard choices of having to decide your major, etc.  I related to Seth a whole lot more than I did Skye.  
 
The next summer (this book spans 3 years), Skye and Seth meet back up at the beach and are still madly in love with each other.  This time they exchange all the important information and make it official.  After summer, Seth visits Skye....and that is as far as I got.  During my "skimming", I did see that there was one (and only one) conflict/fight that the two of them had but other than that, it was all too fake for me.  
 
I would have a hard time recommending this book because 1.  I didn't enjoy it at all and 2.  I am not sure what age group it should be for.  It is way too childish for anyone older than 15 (in my opinion) but deals with more mature matters (such as sex, etc.) that is too old for anyone younger than 15 to read.  I guess if you like "fluffy" books that have a happy ending, you will probably like this one.  It just was not for me though.
 
  

1 comment:

  1. Susane Colasanti is an author I always have trouble with ... on the one hand I adored 'Waiting For You', which cemented her in my favourite authors list (I'd recommend you give it a read - it's a lot more 'writerly' than her other books). But with some of her books I found the romance a bit too rushed in to, like with 'So Much Closer'.
    It always leaves be debating whether or not to check out her latest releases ... judging by your review, I think I'll be giving this one a miss!

    ReplyDelete