Jessica's books

The One and Only Ivan
Pollyanna
Revolutionary War on Wednesday
Leprechaun in Late Winter
Ella Enchanted
The Courage of Sarah Noble
Plain Murder
Gone-Away Lake
Circling the Sun
Maggie and Max
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
The Night Sister
Tuck Everlasting
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bedknob and Broomstick
Mister Monday
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Birchbark House
The Hobbit
The Witch's Daughter


Jessica's favorite books »

Friday, March 2, 2012

Book Review: Perception by Kim Harrington

Perception (Clarity, #2) 
**I received this book from Around the World ARC Tours for review**

Synopsis (from Goodreads):  When you can see things others can't, what do you do when someone's watching you?

Everybody knows about Clarity "Clare" Fern. She's the psychic girl in school, the one who can place her hands on something and see hidden visions from the past.

Only Clare would rather not be a celebrity. She prefers hanging back, observing. Her gift is not a game to her.

But then someone starts playing with her head . . . and heart. Messages and gifts from a secret admirer crop up everywhere Clare turns. Could they be from Gabriel, the gorgeous boy who gets Clare's pulse racing? Or from Justin, Clare's hopeful ex-boyfriend who'd do anything to win her back?

One thing is certain. Clare needs to solve this mystery, and soon. Because the messages are becoming sinister, and a girl in town has suddenly disappeared.

My Thoughts:  With all that happened last summer (or in the last book for us readers), Clarity Fern is now no longer the "freak" but part of the popular crowd.  She has become the local celebrity, much to her dismay.  She is still trying to decide between her ex-boyfriend, Justin, who saved her life and Gabriel, the hot new guy who is also skeptical of all psychics.

When Clare starts getting sweet notes and gifts from her "secret admirer" she is at first flattered.  She has become friends with another girl (who is labeled "freak") and she shares her little notes and gifts with her.  Clare and Mallory become quick friends and Clare really wants to help Mallory with her secrets.  Mallory is the neighbor of the girl who has recently disappeared and Clare is sure there is more to the relationship between Mallory and Sierra (the missing girl) than what Mallory is letting on.  

When things escalate with the missing girl and with Clare's secret admirer, Clare starts to get scared.  She is not sure who to trust anymore.  She also can't decide whether she should help with the investigation or stay away like her mom wants her to do.  

I thought this was a great book and read it quickly simply because I couldn't put it down.  I always liked the relationship between Clare and her mom and brother, Perry, and I still enjoyed it in this book.  Perry has some issues that I can personally relate too but it was nice to see him (somewhat) overcome them.  

The triangle between Gabriel and Justin is a no brainer to me but Clare struggles with who to chose.  She feels comfortable with Justin and maybe a little obligated since he did save her life last summer.  However, Gabriel is so sweet and mysterious.  I personally think Clare and Gabriel have more in common than Clare and Justin.

The mystery was intriguing and although I figured out who the villain was about halfway through the book I had to keep reading to make sure I was right.  I don't think it took away from the story at all.  The villain was an excellent villain too, in my opinion!


The only thing that I had an issue with was Clare's "dumb" moment towards the end.  Clare gets a text and I would like to think that if it were me and I knew what Clare knew, that I would think twice before answering it.  That's all I can say about it though.  You will have to read the book to find out what exactly I am talking about.  Again, it didn't take away from this fast paced, fun book!



No comments:

Post a Comment